If I post about this project, maybe I will be able to stop thinking about it. I'm getting tired of remembering all the work I did.
Yesterday I finished the last step of re-grouting a few tiles in the master bath shower. Tonight we put the shower doors back on and we are looking forward to using that shower once again.
It has taken 14 days to complete that work.
It wasn't difficult work at all. I probably spent a total of 8 hours on it. The hardest part was taking off the silicone caulk, as silicone sticks REALLY WELL and you have to use a sharp knife to loosen it up every few inches, then you have to scrape off all the residue. I used latex caulk this time.
The second hardest part was removing the old broken grout from between the tiles so I could put in new grout and stop the water from getting behind the tiles. I hope I removed enough of the old grout. It sure felt like it.
I am not paying any attention to those of you who are now saying I will regret not actually removing tile and checking back behind for mold and ruined walls. (lalala notlistening! I watched The Emperor's New Groove today.)
Since I work for nothing, I figure I have staved off the terrible grout-eating mold for several more years for free. If it shows up again then we will have a 'professional' come in and take off some tile. But the work will STILL take 14 days to complete. Why? you ask?
Because you have to clean the shower and then stop using it for 5-7 days so the holes in the tile can dry out. You can remove the old caulk during this time and take out the old grout as well. (That was hard on my hands, wrists and elbows.)
Then you re-grout the tile. If you only do a few tiles you might find it easier to use your fingers to push the grout into the holes you have marked with blue painters tape. I couldn't use the grouting tool much because I was working right at the last row of tiles. Forget that 45 degree angle. Just get the grout into the holes and wipe it off with a damp sponge!
So then the grout has to dry for three days. Then you need to seal the grout and that has to have 24-48 hours to dry. Then you can put in the new caulk and let THAT dry for 24 hours. At Least.
All 90 degree angles need caulk, another new fact.
Further fact: you want the grout and the caulk to be in very narrow, smooth lines when you are done.
So fourteen days is not unusual for even small re-grouting jobs. Did you know that? I didn't. I am so glad it was my husband's idea to start on this project between Christmas and New Year's because then he couldn't complain about how long it took. Lucky me, I had read up on it and knew what I had to do.
It looks nice. No more black, moldy caulk or growing holes in the tile grout!
No comments:
Post a Comment