Actually it is August 10, 2011.
I started this post in May, though.
When I was young, my mother would play games with us, often in the evenings and on Sunday afternoons. I remember a game of money, called "UNCLE", that had cardboard gilt-covered circles for coins along with stacks of bills. The "UNCLE" looked like the monopoly man on the Monopoly cards, so it was probably made by Parker House.
The most fun game to play, though, was CLUE. There would be three or four of us sitting around the cardtable in the library asking each other questions, writing down the answers, trying to remember what we might have seen on someone else's cards. It was a lot of fun!
We would use Relief Society Magazines to hide our Detective Lists in. I have Mom's collection of Relief Society Magazines and really enjoyed reading them, and I found CLUES in them! I have three different styles of detective notes: One is an original sheet, with black letters and boxes, one is a blue-purple ditto sheet made to copy the original, and one is the brown and tan sheet that comes with the newer Clue game.
And then there are the two RS Magazines that have clues written on them - June 1959 and July 1970. In Mom's handwriting, written in the right margin, but upside down on the front page of June 1959:
Bon No
Hall
Green
Rope
mustard
have? wht
cndst
Beck No
Must.
ed pp
dng rm
green
Rope
hall
Mark
No
wrench
kitchen
peacock
green
rope
hall
The July 1970 issue has four notations on the front cover, with a brown-edged Clue list inside showing three different games and a date of July 1990 above two of them. The front cover says in (Mom's) pencil above the title, "Meal for Stinsons (stew)" and then down on the green lawn are penciled three words in a child's printing "Knife gun wrench" with a line drawn through knife and wrench.
The brown sheet inside has two games with slashes as marks, and one column filled in with initials that look like Mom's handwriting. The initials are "sh" "st" "B". Col. Mustard, Lead Pipe, Kitchen have x with a circle around them. So it's possible that Mom won that game!
*When I figure out where my pictures went from the last post, I will put up RS Magazine pictures. It's a learning process.
P.S. My computer time shows as 8:44am. I don't know why this post is showing up at a much earlier time.
No comments:
Post a Comment