Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Cornflower vs. Chicory flower

January 10, 2017

A New Year!!  I guess I have not had much to mention on this blog.  Glad I don't have any schedule to keep up with.  Since I have a security conscious husband, I try to be extremely careful about what I blog.  Which means many times interesting things can't be shared.  Moving along...

This evening I discovered that I have led my children astray, so sad! and unexpected.
 I'm talking about the flower I called "cornflowers."  Turns out that cornflowers are also known as "Bachelor's Buttons"!!  So they are a real true blue color!  Like the flowers one daughter sowed along our walkway one spring.

The flowers I had called cornflowers were actually Chicory flowers - a light, pale blue color.  What a story I had built around those two blue colors, having to do with crayon colors and the color of the sky, and what I expected from a name.

I'm re-reading Gone-Away Lake, by Elizabeth Enright.  Chapter 9 starts out talking about July, and "the chicory flowers hung in a blue veil...."  I suddenly remembered how one field in Virginia had a "blue veil" all through July, but I'd thought they were cornflowers.  So I hopped up from my chair and googled chicory flowers.  Sure enough, the chicory pictures matched the field in my mind. 

I have been wrong!!  Now any child of mine who reads this, you have my permission to correct me the next time I start talking about the colors of blue flowers.  I will apologize quickly for having led each of you astray when it comes to chicory flowers vs. cornflowers.  So Sorry!

Maybe I should look up Periwinkle too....

1 comment:

  1. I had considered "security" as well...not putting pictures of my grands online, etc...Then I realized that if I was going to think that way...I would not let them go to a movie theater...or even to school...

    ReplyDelete