A few weeks ago I took a trip to visit my Dad. Back on the plane, homeward bound, I chatted up one of my seatmates, an older woman who looked European to me. Turns out she was European, born in Vienna, Austria, with an old-fashioned name, "Ernestine." I asked where she lived in the States, and she named my home town!! She's lived there for about eight years. She loves it there. (Sidenote: those who love the Mojave Desert are not usually on the same plane!)
Anyway, I had noticed her accent right off, but it was her nose, cheekbones and deepset eyes that set off the "foreigner" bells in my head. That, and the all tan outfit she was wearing. American women just don't wear all one color very often any more, particularly sandy beige. Although I myself would like to wear more all one color outfits because I think I would look thinner and taller that way. (At least thinner, I'm really tall enough.)
As we talked, she said she liked to sew clothing for herself and her grandchildren, not for others. I mentioned trousers, and she said that was the most difficult item to fit to any woman. Makes me feel better about my difficulties purchasing pants. Excuse me, trousers. Wait! Slacks! That's the word I want. Women's slacks. (Is that too casual a term?)
She mentioned something interesting about her mother. Growing up, her mother knew she needed to learn a trade so she would be able to support herself if her studies didn't lead to a job, so she learned to tailor clothing. She was very good at it, but she hated it! Imagine spending your time and effort to learn to do something very well, but hating it all the time. She didn't teach her daughter to sew, either. Ernestine learned in school, like I did. She said she had to learn to read a pattern, use a sewing machine, pick out seams, all on her own.
We had such a pleasant flight together. I hope to see her again someday. After all, I do know where she lives!
No comments:
Post a Comment