I spent the day in court. And in the probation office. And a little while in the volunteer community service room. Then hunted for a bank to make a rent payment. All in another town nearly an hour away. I was accompanying a friend through her difficulties, and it was a long day for both of us. At least I wasn't nervous about the outcome. I was just the lump on the log. She was pleased with the final results, and plans to NEVER go there again.
It's been a real effort for her to keep her head above water this past year. Some of the choices she's made have really pulled her down, but now she is striving to get straight with the world, and make a better life for herself.
Sometimes I have been tired of the drama, but I keep remembering that Jesus told us to "Love our neighbors as ourselves," and I certainly would appreciate it if my friends stood by me when I am in trouble. So I keep going, and keep hoping, and keep reminding myself that I am not living her life, so if she doesn't take my advice and warnings, we'll just have to keep working on the situation and looking for the good to come out of it.
We never know when awful things may happen to us. If we've been careful not to judge others, or make snide remarks about someone else's problems, it is much easier to accept the tests and trials and keep going. And after all, isn't Jesus Christ's atonement the real reason we can all change ourselves and become more like Him? If we can change, we have to allow others to change also, and we have to accept the new and improved versions of each of us. Because that is our goal, to be worthy to live with Christ again.
Even if we have to go to court once in awhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment