Since this blog is just for my thoughts, I will not worry about Holiday Posts and just type.
Last week I got very excited when I saw "The Eagle" movie start on my tv. I knew it had to be made from Rosemary Sutcliff's "The Eagle of the Ninth." I was thrilled with all the possibilities.
The main character looked very strong and manly and totally a Roman soldier. His Briton servant/friend's character was 're-worked' and a lot of kindness was brought in. So they were foils for each other, not fighting companions.
Esca appears in the gladiator ring and refuses to fight, supposedly accepting death. He doesn't show his fighting skills and THEN accept the death that awaits him, as in the book. No. He just throws away his weapons and quits. Disappointing.
There is no woman character in the film at all. Just crowds and a face or hand here and there. Understandable. So the emphasis is on the hunt for the Roman Eagle. They brought in the missing legion very well, showed fighting skills and tactics, and gave an idea of what might have happened.
They did bring in a "punishment for kindness" theme that centers in Esca's 'new' character. Even children are killed, because of the two main characters actions. They don't talk about the rituals of the Druids and the Britons in the movie, as they do in the book. A lot of history and Rite of Passage ceremonies are not explained. There is less presentation of the Britons/Celts as a separate people from Romans.
The relationships between master and slave are handled well and add an interesting fillip in the movie. I'm not sure the ending is quite believable for me, but then I've read the book! I am SO glad someone made a movie of The Eagle of the Ninth!!
No comments:
Post a Comment