I cleaned off my computer desk today. I found a small piece of paper with a date on it - Oct. 28, 2012, 8:35pm. These thoughts are still happening to me today.
'It's a curious thing to sit here, full of food and find myself wondering what to eat next. I wonder if it is because I have the faint beginnings of a cold. I have noticed that I tend to nibble, munch and graze if I have a small pain, ache, or uncomfortableness about my person. Or if I am nervous about what someone might say to me, then I feel like eating just to keep my mind busy and stop thinking of what might be coming.
Uneasy situations make me think of snacks in the cupboards, of goodies ready to be made, of recipes just lurking between book covers or online. I even wonder if my husband would like me to make him a treat, an excuse for baking every cook is familiar with. But he is not that much into sweets now. I know he would say, "Sure," long and slow, and then be surprised when I actually put out the cookies or cake or brownies and eat very few of them in the end.
So what is it that makes me think of chips and nuts and crackers when I'm not really hungry? Is it to calm my sinuses? Is my body trying to load up on calories to help it fight off the cold? If I speak to my friends and family about up coming conversations and events will the desire for food slacken? Is food a grease that calms the wheel of fortune? Why am I hungry?'
We must be kindred spirits.
ReplyDeleteSo! I am not the only one who feels this way...thanks for visiting!
ReplyDeleteDear me...after watching my dear man die of ALS...It was for sure...food to the rescue...to calm my soul and clear my tears...Unfortunately the soothing was temporary...the tears still came and I became way too substantial a woman...sigh
ReplyDeleteI think lock down has made us all think of food, we all keep opening that fridge door wanting ??? Just the lock down syndrome!
ReplyDeleteYou are not Lone, Ruth, and the way I fight this urge is to keep snack foods out of the shopping cart, my downfall.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for Your visit to our blog. Your comment on the Nashua posts was very much appreciated as I learn so much myself by doing these. Glad others find my efforts interesting too. My husband is a ham radio newcomer since we moved here. He can provide any info to your husband if needed.
Maybe it's emotional eating. My mom used to tell me that I seemed to eat when I was bored...haha.
ReplyDeleteOMG, you have sung my song, sister! I have taken to doing a food diary. I cut out eating between meals. I limit myself to 1200 calories a day, and I plan my meals in advance. So far it's not been difficult to stick to.
ReplyDeleteDisclaimer: this is only the second week.
I'm very late to visit, Ruth, but I am so grateful you stopped by Marmelade Gypsy. Do you still blog on another platform? Have a wonderful week.
ReplyDelete