Today, a new friend told me that she'd been awake during the night thinking about me and how much I have helped her. She said she felt "such gratitude" for my assistance, and wanted me to know it. I looked back at this woman I barely know, smiled and said "Thank you."
I had met her once, delivering a meal to her and her family. Then I was asked to help her organize her files. I happen to love organizing files. Even better, I know that the owner of the files has to make the organizing decisions, not the assistant helper. We've met together six times now, three plus hours each time. I really have no idea how many boxes of papers we've filed away, but she knows. She has kept everything she needs, it just had to be put in order.
It is odd how many points of shared experience we have found between us. We both lived in towns on the Mojave Desert. We share a knowledge of other states and areas. I recognized a lawyer's bill -we've dealt with lawyers too. One day, going through a box, I handed her some fancy, small cards. She tossed them into the trash. A few minutes later, I found more of them, and some plastic covers for them. She put those together with something else and said it was part of a set. When we had finished emptying the box, I sat down and picked up the trash box and went through it and found the first set she'd thrown in there. As I pulled them out, she said, "Oh, so it was bothering you too!"
I am so glad to be useful to her! It's fun to bring order out of chaos, especially when you know someone will keep the files organized because they chose the method and understand the use of it. It makes it easier to work together when you know the project will provide long-lasting results. It also encourages me to continue working on my photo-filing project!
No comments:
Post a Comment