When we start talking about Obesity in America, we have quite a number of contributing factors to consider.
1) The Rise of Fast Food - How easy it is to buy and gobble and yet not feel full so we buy more to gobble and waste.
2) The Removal of Fat From Food - And the substitution of synthetic sugars to make the resulting cardboard taste better. But the fat was what signaled our bodies that we were full, and the sugars make us even hungrier.
3) The Idea That Salt is Harmful - Yet, salt is a regulator in the body, and you can die from not having enough salt in your diet.
4) The Biggering of Animals - Chicken thighs used to be rather small, now they are HUGE. As I compare the giant thighs in the multiple package with the thighs still attached to the roasting chicken, I wonder where the giant chickens came from to supply the giant thighs. And Wings! More Giant Chicken Parts!
5) The Enormous Dishes in Our Cupboards - Some people can't even fit their 2008 wedding china in their 1970s cupboards because the china is just too Big.
6) The Restaurant Kitchen-sized Serving Utensils - Who needs a full cup of mashed potatoes, green beans, and meatloaf EACH on their plate?
7) 8 Glasses of Water Per Day is Excessive - We do not need to carry around water bottles all the time and be continually drinking them. Farmers work in the fields for hours without drinking every 20 minutes.
8) The Loss of Small Neighborhood Grocery Stores - Once it was possible to buy fruits and vegetables close to home without going to a large store, buying more than you intended, and forgetting what you needed in the first place.
9) Advertisements - Let's be sure to put some blame on those delicious looking meals served up on tv. Of course, no one is forcing us to put food into our mouths...
Now how do my actual current habits compare to these ideas I have discussed?
My husband and I seldom eat out these days - once or twice a month, including fast food.
We don't buy the foods labeled "fat-free".
We still use salt freely.
So perhaps I should stop cooking two giant thighs for dinner for my husband and I, and just cut one in half after it is cooked and share it? (He still wants the choice of a whole thigh, because sometimes he didn't get any lunch.) I can cut mine in half and save it for lunch the next day.
I am trying to only fill the center of my plate at mealtimes, not the edges.
I ask for and use take-home bags when I see enormous portions on my plate in the restaurant.
We mostly use water bottles when we go on long trips, not for walks in the mall.
I miss having a small grocery store within walking distance, as it was in my childhood.
Yes, that food ad looks yummy, but we don't need to be eating every hour.
I really am in charge of what I put into my mouth, even when I know that the impulse begins in my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment