Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Songs of Help

When I was 9 years old,  I moved up into the next Primary class at church.  Primary was held after school, on a weekday, usually a Wednesday or Thursday.  At age 9 the girls and boys separated.  The boys went into the Blazer Program, the girls went into the Lihoma Program.  Lihoma stood for "Little Homemakers."  If there was ever a need for a strong emphasis on Homemaking during the 1960s, the Lihoma Program was a great response.

The girls classes were divided into Gaynotes, Firelights, and Merrihands.  The song written especially for these classes had three verses, one for each year.  I especially remember the Gaynote verse:

                       "The first thing in the morning, and all day long,
                         I shall be a Gaynote and sing a happy song.
                         Giving joy to others in all I do,
                         I shall be a Gaynote the whole day through."

The reason I remember this verse so well is connected to my early married life with three children, four and under.  My days were so full of this, that, and the other tasks to do, toys, crying, changing cloth diapers, laundry, meals, naps - that now and then I felt absolutely frantic with so much to do.

Then one day I happened to remember this song from Gaynotes, and I started singing it.  It cheered me up entirely, and reminded me of all the things I had learned at church, both as a child and as a teen-ager.
Once again I felt that warm, enveloping hope surround my heart and witness to me that I was in the right place, doing the right things, at the right time.

I am so grateful for all my teachers, my parents, my friends, who supported the church programs and did their best to teach us children the pleasant things that add happiness to our lives.  Now and then, I still sing this song, even though all seven of my children are grown and out of the house.  I remember the love and kindness the gospel teachings provided for me. Everyone needs a home!

No comments:

Post a Comment