Friday, March 9, 2012

Memory Quilts

Last night I watched some Disaster shows on TV while I cut out pieces for a Dresden Plate quilt. When my husband came home they were showing Flight 175, the second plane that flew into the World Trade Center. He sat down and watched that one with me because he knew someone from work who died on that plane. They even profiled him with pictures and his wife and parents talking about him.
Today I had a great idea! I decided to combine my Dresden Plate quilt plans with the Memory Quilts plan I had. I got out the fabrics I have saved from my seven children's clothing and T-shirts. And the fabric from my childhood. I even have one or two things from my husband's clothing.
I found that I don't have very much fabric for each of them and promptly lost my energy. So I need to think about this some more. Perhaps I could also include my strippy squares I've made. This means I'll be using large Dresden Plate squares with 4" strippy squares. Well, that helps me decide a little bit more of the plan.
Meanwhile I took a picture of the Kindergarten overalls each of the kids wore (at least once) to kindergarten. The last child was a bit tall and so they were short on her but she only had to wear them one day and was a good sport about it. Some of the children will be happy to see those overalls cut up, I'm sure.
Several years ago I had organized the fabrics/clothing items into who wore what piles. Now the concern is how to say, "This fabric is from Number 1 Child, this fabric from Number 6 Child, etc." I believe that if I take a picture of each set of fabrics with the child's name on a piece of paper in it, then I will have a record of what fabric was worn by what child. I can then include that color photo with the quilt when I give each child their finished quilt. Maybe the quilt will be only lap sized for each one...

1 comment:

  1. Ruth, Hi. I just read your comment over on Clover Lane about Jaroldeen Edwards and loved it so much I decided to come over and tell you. I snatched it and added it to my own "files". What a great story. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete